Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Echoes of Lee

R. G. Lee, former pastor of a famous church in Memphis, Tennessee preached a sermon taken from events recorded in I Kings. The Sermon was entitled: Pay Day Some Day.

Roughly the sermon related the story of Ahab and Jezebel, king and queen of the Northern Kingdom (Israel) and their taking of a vineyard from a man named Naboth.

Ahab wanted Naboth's vineyard so he could plant himself a vegetable garden. The vineyard was not too far from the palace. The problem was old Naboth would not sell out his inheritance from his father for the land was of the Lord and his family had been granted the stewardship and watchcare of it.

This hurt Ahab's feelings and he went home and "took on" something fierce and "wallered" around on his bed. He did not even eat his supper.

Jezebel came in and wanted to know what in the world was wrong with him. He told her his feelings were hurt because "dirty old" Naboth would not do what he wanted him to do by selling him his vineyard.

Jezebel chewed him out right proper for his silly behavior. She told him that she would get the vineyard.

(Please understand, I am not calling anyone in the SBC Ahab or Jezebel. They were ungodly and terrible people of which no one in our Convention should or could be compared. Those two devils incarnate were into the sacrifice of children. The SBC has certainly cleaned up its act relating to such things. The resolution on abortion in 1971 is to our shame and disgrace but we have repented and stand strong now. Thank God for such people as Morris Chapman and Richard Land who fought the good fight in that area. Therefore let no one think or say that a comparison of Ahab or Jezebel is being made to any person or persons in the SBC. If you do --"a pox on your house.")

She sent out letters to elders and nobles to throw a party and give Naboth a seat of honor. There was one minor detail that was not to be shared with Naboth. That detail was the two "bully boys" opposite him at the table. At the right time they were to accuse Naboth of blasphemy against God and the King.

That made everyone that was at the party mad and I mean MAD. They took the old boy out of town a little ways and stoned him to death.

(Earnest T. Bass had nothing on these guys when it came to "chunking" rocks at a "feller.")

When Jezebel told Ahab that Naboth was dead, he jumped up and went to the vineyard to start his vegetable garden. (With a Troy-built tiller, no doubt.)

Well, the fun had just started when Elijah came up with a message from God. Strongly paraphrased the message went like this: "You have murdered a fine "feller" and taken his property. In the very same, exact, dead-on spot where the hounds licked up Naboth's blood, dogs will lick up your old nasty blood, too." "You caused Israel to sin and you are going to pay for it. Dogs will eat your wife Jezebel, also." Basically the dogs and birds are going to get belly aches from eating so much of Ahab's family.

The moral of this little story which is based loosely upon the perfect Word of God is: (this little paraphrase is not infallible) What goes around comes around.

My actual analogy is concerning "bully boys." As in the days of Brother Elijah so it is in the days of Brother Wade.

"Bully Boys" always sneak around, make plans behind close doors, cast doubt and slander upon one's name and character, smile in public and stab you when you are relaxed. They then make every effort to justify their actions often saying their actions are for the greater good of the masses, and they are great at covering their own tracks.

In this case it is going to be hard to do away with a Lion who is a Noble statesman. This is greatly due to a Bear who is a fearless prophet, an Owl who is a supreme analyst and a journalist who is an all seeing Eagle. Oh yeah: There is also a great big hungry pack of Bloodhounds, hot on the trail to Greensboro. The Executive Board is hard pressed to find enough kennels for all of them.

"What goes around comes around, boys."

There is a Pay Day Some Day and it just may be in Greensboro.

Villa Rica

10 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

I hope you are right!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Villa,


Great Post!

I just read your comment on Wade's post "My Thoughts Toward My Fellow Trustees" now I understand the lion, bear, owl and eagle.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Wes Kenney said...

Those you euphemistically call 'bully boys,' the Bible calls wicked, worthless men. I don't think 'bully' really captures the depravity Scripture assigns them. To whom are you comparing these in your current analogy?

1:00 PM  
Blogger Villa Rica said...

Brother Wes,

You are right. The basic definition of belial is worthless,wicked or scoundrel. In 1 Kings 21:13 the reference is to wicked perjurers.

As to whether bully captures their depravity depends on one's definition of the word and the character of bullies one has encountered in his or her life.

I well understand the Hebrew definition of Belial used in the O.T. and especially as it is used in 1 Kings 21:13. I also understand the kind of bully boys I have met in life in general and in the SBC. Therefore I will stand by my choice of a descriptive term for the scoundrels that I am speaking of in my post.

As to who they are? Brother Wes, THEY ARE LEGION.

Pride, abuse of power,lying, and greed is not foreign to the SBC and never has been.

Villa Rica

2:07 PM  
Blogger Wes Kenney said...

I wasn't questioning your understanding of the term. I was merely pointing out that, in my opinion, your folksy presentation does not soften the impact of your words, and since you haven't been hesitant to name the 'good guys' in your story, it seems only right that you name the 'bad guys' as well.

I don't doubt the abuses you cite, but all the abuse in the world doesn't justify a Christian in seeking revenge. How else are we to interpret the phrase "There is a Pay Day Some Day and it just may be in Greensboro"?

2:28 PM  
Blogger Villa Rica said...

Brother Wes,

Do not miss the point of the story. In 1 Kings it was God that brought about justice. That is also the point of my post. I believe that God still brings justice into situations. I never used the word revenge nor did I alude to it.

I understand revenge and have extracted much of it in my days. That is in no way what I mean.

I do not have to name the people I am talking about (or rather to) due to the fact they know that I know and they know who they are.

As far as the folksy prensation is concerned it is no effort to soften anything and again those that I am talking to understand that also.

As time goes on you will hear other people come foward and share their stories. My goal is to just help them to stop being afraid. You are probably a good guy and on the right side of this matter. If so help me encourage those that have been so deeply hurt for just trying to do the right thing to come forward without fear of being banged up again. Obviously this problem is bigger than you realize.

May God bless you in all you do. Hope to buy you a real cup of coffee someday. Cafe style not Starbucks

Villa Rica

2:58 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Villa Rica,

Daring to say that Starbucks isn't real coffee among this crowd ... those are real fighting words! :)

I look forward to all God is going to do in Greensboro ... and beyond.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Villa Rica said...

Brother Kevin L,

Thank you. I believe your motives are pure in asking those questions. I am going to say a few things and I do not want you to think I am being defensive. I have no reason to be. Maybe the following will make clear my motives for even being in this in the first place.

1 I love the SBC and if everyone else leaves the Convention I will keep being one--A Convention of one you might say.



2 God has greatly used the SBC to reach lost people. Of course He has used other denominations also. The IMB and the NAMB are not the only mission organizations that God blesses. I support others. I support the IMB and the NAMB more because I am a Southern Baptist.


3 I worked within the Convention over four decades. I have witnessed and been part of many things. I know things I will never tell. There is no reason to hurt innocent people, nor is it right to put a person on the spot in such a way that it could cost them their job. They are afraid of loosing their jobs. (read my statement on Wade's post about such people.) If I named the names of certain guilty people they would be vengeful toward those that would have to speak up. You may not believe that but that is how it is.

That is how the system works. Many good people are afraid to stand up. They have seen others before get their names destroyed. Some have had to leave the SBC to continue in their calling to ministry.


Power is a weapon in the hands of a true bully. A bully makes himself known and people naturally fear him. Anyone that has actually worked in the Convention's framework knows exactly what I am talking about.

4 I am not FOX NEWS. I do not have to seek some philosophical concept of being fair and balanced. My accountability before God is to tell the truth. That I have done and the people I am directing that truth toward know it. I know it is not best to present names at this time for the reasons I explained above. Frankly, anyone that does not understand that within the context I have offered may have a cruel heart. A cruel heart is a great burden. This I know too well.

5 Brother Kevin L, I do not seek revenge nor do I want a witch hunt. Both are sin. I want those that fear to find out in Greensboro that God has raised up a new army that will tell the truth in love and without fear this time. My generation told the truth but we were so terribly mean at times. My fear is that we got drunk on power and started to like it and justify it.

Like the theme to BILLY JACK: GO AHEAD AND HATE A NEIGHBOR. GO AHEAD AND KILL A FRIEND.
DO IT IN THE NAME OF HEAVEN,
YOU'LL BE JUSTIFIED IN THE END.

You see: we forgot that the end never justifies the means if the means is sinful.

6 If Richard Nixon had said to the USA I have failed to keep my sacred trust and I ask your forgiveness rather than to say I made a mistake but I am not a crook he would have continued to be President of the United States.
I truly believe this nation would have forgiven him.

Revenge?, Witch Hunt?, NO. I believe if certain people would say they failed to keep the sacred trust of the SBC,repent unto God and make amends where needed no matter how far back, God would start revival in our wealthy,dying denomination.

I want to see revival in my beloved SBC. I have wept many tears about my sin as a mean Southern Baptist and if God will forgive a son of Belial like me He will most certainly forgive the rest.

They know who they are. I do not have to name them. God knows them. My goal is to call them to repent not to stone them. We have done enough of that in the last forty years.

Therefore, I call on you Brother, come to Greensboro in repentance yourself and prophetically call upon others to do the same. If they do not repent we must ask them to step aside but we are never to stone them.

You now have my heart as best as I can give it on this matter. Do with it what you will. I stand by the words of my post. Be assured that if I were throwing stones the approach would be entirely different.

God bless you, your family, and your ministry and God bless the SBC.

Villa Rica

8:36 PM  
Blogger Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear V.R.,

I very much appreciate what you are trying to do. But I just don't know what you're talking about. I was a child and teenager for most of the time since '79, and I have only JUST THIS YEAR become interested enough in the workings of the SBC to try to do my part.

But with all the hints and you-know-who-you-are and you-know-who-I-mean, I can't figure out what's what.

I have some idea that Dr. Paige Patterson is in on "it," whatever exactly "it" is. But as a student under his presidency, all I ever saw from him was a call to evangelism, an insistence on high standards of morality, and a demand for more biblical languages and preaching in the curriculum. No signs of abuse of power.

So in order to be effective in what you're calling for, you're going to have to figure out some way to inform the uninformed. You keep calling us to go to Greensboro, and I am going. But when I get there, how do I know heads from tails?

Love in Christ,

Jeff

10:09 PM  
Blogger art rogers said...

Jeff,

Email me and I will put you in touch with someone who can give you some more insight.

atr1300[at]yahoo[dot]com

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home